Backups on Divio are in accordance with two key principles.
- Firstly, the integrity of your data and content is paramount, and they must be kept safe.
- Secondly, your project belongs to you. Your data and content must be as portable as possible, so that you can sign up to our services confident that you will never find yourself locked in to them.
See also How to use Divio backup system
What’s backed up?
Our backup system takes care of your project’s:
- database - the database that Django uses for persistent storage, made available for download as a binary database dump
- media files - files uploaded/processed/stored by the project’s applications, made available for download as a tarred archive, and including a manifest file of contents
Your backups are made to encrypted storage.
Note that your project’s codebase is not captured in our backups, as it already versioned in Git .
Scheduled and on-demand backups
Backups are initiated in two different ways:
- on-demand, when the user requests it
- automatically, according to a schedule determined by the project's subscription - by default this is daily
Various policies are available, but on all environments this is set by default to a 30 days/3 backups policy, meaning that these backups will be retained indefinitely; however, of those that are more than 30 days old, only the three most recent will be retained.
Various policies are available but on all environments this is set by default to a 7-daily/4-weekly/12-monthly grandfather-father-son policy.
This means that:
Each day, the system will take a backup, and discard any daily backups older than seven days.
Each week, it will relabel the oldest daily backup as a weekly backup and discard any weekly backups older than one month.
Each month, it will relabel the oldest weekly backup as a monthly backup and discard any monthly backups older than one year.
After a year, the system will have retained:
- twelve monthly backups spanning the last year
- four weekly backups spanning the last month
- seven daily backups spanning the last week