Here’s what you’ll end up with after completing this tutorial:
- A website running django CMS
- An attractive responsive theme
- A blog, forms and custom plugin integrations
The Python programming language is on the rise and with it, the interest in Django and django CMS. Due to its extreme versatility, ease of use and beginner-friendly appeal, web professionals from around the world are flocking to django CMS to see what all the fuss is about.
Although Python is a great language to learn, you don't need to be fluent in Python to build a website with django CMS. In this multi-part tutorial, we’ll build a website with django CMS, and you'll learn some basics of both Python and Django while you do it.
Things You’ll Need to Make Your Own django CMS Website:
First, let’s define what you DON’T need for this tutorial:
- No prior knowledge in Python or Django
- No prior knowledge in django CMS
- No prior knowledge on how to setup a local development environment
- No prior knowledge on how to deploy a Django project to a server
The only things you DO need are (no immediate action necessary):
- Any kind of HTML Editor (you can download free editors such as Atom, Brackets, Sublime or similar)
- Basic knowledge in HTML/CSS
- Windows (7+) or Mac OS X (10.9+) or Linux
Since we use the Divio Cloud - the solution to get you up and running, you won’t need any additional services or skills to get started with django CMS. Additionally, everything needed to complete this tutorial is free of charge, including a live server.
If you'd like to compare your progress (or run into any issues), we've prepared a ZIP file with all the final templates, which corresponds to what you can expect to have at the end of the tutorial.